This morning I had an interview with a former KU Law student who was a 3L when I was a 1L. I was interviewing for a position with Legal Aid of Western Missouri. As their website explains: "Legal Aid of Western Missouri (LAWMo) has been providing essential legal services to low-income citizens since 1964. LAWMo staff attorneys, paralegals and volunteers assist over 20,000 people each year with problems that seriously affect their ability to provide for themselves and their families."
I know what you're thinking...and it is a great job. The pay is what has made me pause: $33,000 plus benefits (what, I'm not sure). And again...not horrible...I mean, it is a paying job of which I seem to have a hard time coming by these days. But I paid twice as much for my legal education as that, so I guess I have higher expectations.
During the interview, it donned on me that whether I get this job or not, this is really my lot in life. And is it such a bad one? In fact, maybe it's the best option yet. To help others who cannot help themselves. Isn't that why I went to law school? I mean, I literally wrote in my "personal statement" to KU Law Admissions that the reason I was coming to school here was so that I could help those domestic violence victims and mentally ill people when I knew they couldn't do things for themselves. And here I am, interviewing for a job in which the main job description is providing legal service to domestic violence victims.
I probably shouldn't even be writing about this yet because I always have a fear of "jinxing" myself and now I'll think that if I don't get this job it's because I blogged about it. But the bottom line is, this is truely a job I could sleep at night doing. And while it may not be on 800 threadcount sheets on a sleep number King size bed, it'll be a bed nonetheless.
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
How come no one told me about this interview? Oh wait... I gues you blogged about it so that counts. Tee Hee!
You would be making about what I make... Give or take, I'll not go completely publicly on record here. You will do great no matter where you find employment, and you will help people regardless of weather it's in your job description, your just that sort of bear.
I meant to say "you're"
Post a Comment