Friday, February 23, 2007

I have the cake and I get to eat it too!

I woke up to a very important phone call this morning at 8:15 am. I didn't answer...I was nervous for what the caller had to say and I didn't want to have groggy morning voice either.

Wednesday afternoon I had an interview with the head of Medicaid Appeals at Legal Aid. The interview was somewhat intense and I had to answer such questions as how much my student loans were and if I could live on $34,500 salary. All in all, I thought I took the interview in stride and had the right answers for at least 90% of the questions. At the end of the interview, Gregg asked me if I'd be available for a second interview next week. (He wasn't promising the interview, but wanted to make sure of my availability in case they selected me for a second). I eagerly said yes and spouted off that I'd be available Thursday afternoon and all day Friday, March 2. I didn't think about it again until Gregg e-mailed the following day (Thursday) asking for a second interview and detailing the interview schedule for all of Friday afternoon, March 2. And that's when it dawned on me what else I had scheduled for Friday, March 2.

Two weeks ago I found out that the man, Prez. Bill C, was giving a lecture in Manhattan at 3:30 Friday, March 2. I was ecstatic. I made it my mission to get tickets to go. Using my own resources, I would have never gotten those tickets, but luckily I've got friends in high places. My friend's dad is the head of the KS Dem Party and Tuesday night (the night before my interview) I received the call that we all had tickets. Woo hooo.

Fast forward to the e-mail detailing my interview schedule for Friday, March 2. The ball dropped. I really did start crying. I couldn't believe that I might miss Bill because I had to do a three-hour interview for a place that wasn't even going to pay me in one year as much as Bill charges for one appearance. I frantically drafted an e-mail asking for a reschedule. I had to consult several friends before I finalized the e-mail and sent it. It was about one hour into sending the e-mail out (into the wild blue yonder) that I started to panic. What had I done? I was certain that I'd receive the following reply e-mail:

"Dear Adrienne, You have demonstrated that you are not interested in this job. We no longer need you to come in for a second interview."

I know I'm crazy. But for about two hours, I had a permanent I'm-going-to-throw-up-feeling. But the reality is I received a reply e-mail several hours later saying that it was understandable and an attempt to reschedule was under way.

Again, fast forward to this morning and the phone call. I anxiously awaited the voicemail notification. And there it was: the interview had been rescheduled for this Monday. I GET TO GO SEE BILL AND DO THE INTERVIEW.

Thank you, karma. I knew I deserved one in my favor!

No comments: