Everywhere you turn in the Capital today there are old people wearing bright yellow t-shirts with AARP written across the chest. It's kind of fun. I love old people. Except they are sort of clogging up the hallways and areas near elevators with their slow walking and absolute refusal to take the stairs. (I took the four flights of stairs all the way up to the 5th floor this morning, I'll have you know, to deliver the Senator her limeade in exchange for her laptop).
I was sitting at my little desk when a man walked in to give the Senator one of these bright yellow tees and to my surprise, it was someone I knew: my aunt Lisa's father, Jerry. I tried to explain to him who I was, but I don't think he really understood -- and he also couldn't hear me very well. So although he said he'd tell Lisa he saw me, I doubt that really ever happens. Oh well.
Other than that, I'm somewhat bored and distracted today. As always, I'm in a constant state of anxiety about what lays ahead for me career-wise. I have a second interview tomorrow with Legal Aid in the Medicaid Appeals Department. I'm excited about it, though I'd rather work in the domestic division, I'm not going to be too choosy at this point. Anyway, having a second interview has given me some hope that this might work out. Inevitably, I am prematurely planning how life will be if I get this job...where I'll live (Rivermarket, KC), how I'll budget my money (financial planning?) -- more importantly, how I'll afford the warddrobe I always pictured myself wearing as a successful attorney.
It's hard to explain how planning for the future consumes me...but here's an example. About six weeks into every semester, the law school posts the class schedules and final exam schedules for the following semester. Enrollment isn't until about another month later, but literally the first day the schedules are posted I have already determined what classes I will take and made sure that I will have a good finals schedule, etc. I get a lot of shit for this from my friends.
This type of behavior applies to almost any situation in my life. I'm a planner. I want to know the schedule, I want to have a path, I want to know what I'll wear on that path. Maybe soon I'll finally know what that path is after law school because as you can imagine, this not knowing stuff is driving me crazy!
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
One can never predict the path, the path is a way of being, not a way of panning.
shit! planning I meant.
Post a Comment