I made it back to the Capital on Thursday afternoon to see the continued hearings on House Bill 2227 (the HPV shot bill). I made sure to leave with ample time and upon arriving to the 5th floor meeting room, found myself in quite the cluster fuck: one group trying to exit the room and simultaneously another group trying to enter (who incidentally had all been there the day before, understood there were few seats and were therefore pushing and shoving like school kids trying to get off the bus). As soon as I got into the room, I wasted no time taking the chair positioned in front of the Rep's desks and slightly in front of and away from all the other chairs. I figured people would think that chair was meant for someone who actually worked there and since I do have the name badge, why not let people think I was supposed to sit there :)
I heard testimony from a few more proponents but nothign exciting. Then the opponents. The first represented "Concerned Women of America" and though they have a silly name, she was a smart woman who made great points. If the State of Kansas mandates a shot, the residents of Kansas think that shot must be 100% effective, when it's not. She stressed caution, and I was beginning to feel cautious. The second opponent represented "Catholics for Kansas" and I just didn't really understand her argument but assume it's all about "abstinence is best" and this shot equals kids doin' it in the bathroom at school.
And that was it. The hearing was over. I wished I had heard some more heated arguments, but reality is that even the most controversial topics don't translate into the stuff that television is made of. I don't really know what I think about the mandate...but I guess it's probably a good idea. Until 10 years from now all these girls start having mutant babies, then I guess we all might have been wrong.
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment