Sunday, December 9, 2007

A Month Worth Marvelling

I won't say who has hounded me all week to blog...but it worked. Here you go.


It's no secret that this is my favorite month. Twenty-nine days lead up to the best day of the year, September 30. Who cares if that sounds self-indulgent. Anyone who has ever met me or spent any amount of time with me knows how important my bday is for me. But this month gave me lots of reasons to celebrate.

On September 12th I awoke to nauseau and butterflies. Missouri bar results were scheduled for release - mid-morning we were told. As a treat for what could be either the worst or best day of our life (relatively speaking), Katie and I went to Starbucks before we left for work. I rarely spend money on coffee - so this was a big deal. We gave each other a supportive hug and went on our respective ways to work. Lucky for me, Katie's work is a mere 10 minutes away and she arrived in time to check if results were posted before I had even made it half way to work. So when my cell phone rang at 8:15 that morning - and identified Katie as the caller - I knew it could only be one thing. I was thankful she could deliver the news to me, that I had passed, that she had passed...in fact anyone I knew that I took the bar with had passed. It was time to celebrate. Oh wait. It was time to go to work.
Twelve hours later, the celebration was winding down. Our behavior had detiorated from that of the most recent addition to a profession of the highest integrity, to...well, you can see for yourself:
















(We're eating wings)





Eight days later, and I found myself in a much more respectable celebration. On Thursday, September 20 I took the Oath of Admission in Jefferson City, Missouri to uphold the honor and integrity of the legal profession. I was more overcome with emotion than I thought I would be and when we were directed to give a moment of thanks to our family who supported us through the journey, I was unable to hold back the tears as I turned to look at mom. Thank you for being there then and every day before.

Left: signing the attorney register - Right: mom and I minutes before I swore in
















Not to be forgotten- the highlight of my month. We started my birthday weekend by going to the LCD/Arcade Fire concert at Starlight. It couldn't have been better weather or a better time.
Saturday night my roommates through me a party to be remembered. Mom and dad were there early in the evening. They know better than to stay past the time when I might become embarassing. The party took flight to one of my new favorite bars, Jilly's, on 18th and Main. 80's dance music + birthday Adrienne = one good time. Thanks to everyone for another wonderful birthday!! Here are some relatively self-explanatory pics of my night:

1 comment:

Devin Tait said...

I love your shirt in the birthday photos!!! Wear it out to LA when you come for Christmas!!!