Proving once again that sometimes all you have to do is ask, November became a month of "yes's" for me, both personally and professionally.
After several months of career-limbo, I decided to put my fate in my own hands. I had been straddling departments at work, part time foreclosure part time litigation. I knew that foreclosure work would pigeon hole me and potentially ruin my shot at ever getting a different job. I also knew, through the grapevine, that they were considering hiring a new litigation attorney. (Turns out they weren't "considering" - they already had the ad running). If I had waited any longer, this blog would certainly be different. I can't remember the exact date, but I do know that I had a game plan for that day and when I arrived at work, I put it into motion.
I first went to the office of the head litigation attorney, Nancy. She is not a partner at the firm, but she was my first choice because I had to make sure she would want me in her department before I started making waves elsewhere. Immediately I knew I had done the right thing. "Yes" she said "We would love to have you." Together we formulated a game plane of who to talk to next and what to say. At 9:15, Steve arrived at work, and he was the next partner on my list to talk to. "Yes" he said. "I think it makes perfect sense to let you switch. I'll change the ad we have running. We'll replace you in your current foreclosure position." It was all going so smoothly I could hardly believe I was nervous to ask! Finally, I had to talk to my current boss, Doug, the partner in charge of foreclosure. Notorious for dodging "uncomfortable" situations, Doug was both my most difficult meeting and the easiest. I knew he would never say "No" because he can't, but I also knew that I couldn't necessarily take that what he would say as a "yes."
I left Doug's office feeling like I did all I could. He had said that he thought that my move would be "fine" and that was the most I could hope for. After several follow ups with the attorneys I had met with, it seemed all was on track for my move. (A month later, it still does. I have seen them interview several potential candidates AND I have been informed I'll be interviewing several litigation assistants for MYSELF in the very near future!!!)
With my career on the right path I was happy to hear I had more "yes" moments on the way. Specifically, I had confirmed that Devin would be coming home for Thanksgiving. My happiness was bittersweet, as it is always my hope that the ENTIRE family will be together. Though Dylan, Brandon and Amy were missed dearly, I had a wonderful week spent with mom, dad and Devin. Pictures to follow, as mom and Devin have done a good job of describing our adventures!







1 comment:
Love the pics, thanks for posting them, enneirda. Congrats on your new position, too!
Post a Comment