The 5:45 am alarm blasts too loudly to the first radio station I could find
It wakes me from a peaceful slumber of dreams I don't remember
(The 5:45 alarm is now the 6:45 alarm
I no longer need time to make coffee or watch tv.
The coffee at work is fine. The Today Show is for housewives.)
My bare feet shuffle on the cold hardwood floor to the fan in the corner
The fan switches click and suddenly the room is filled in an erie unsound
A few more shuffles to the shower and then water splashes on ceramic tile
An inaudible sigh escapes me. I'm awake.
Seven minutes later and the blow dryer seems to drones on. And on. And on.
I Tap tap tap at my makeup brush to remove the excess mineral powder
While I smudge my lower lid to blur the eyeliner line
This is as good as my face will look all day.
I sigh my first heavy sigh as I begin the click clack paths with my high heels
Closet to mirror. Closet to mirror.
Do I wear this skirt with this shirt? Maybe this shirt with those heels...
Or those heels with that skirt...
Click clack. Click clack.
Eventually the Clicks follow the clacks out the door.
Reliably the engine of my Alero whirrs but does not purr.
And again another fan blasts away the heat of an Indian summer.
"Slowed traffic at the Grandview triangle; a wreck at I-435 and K-10"
One by one the traffic radio guys tell me the good news
I'm not on any of those roads. Ward Parkway has yet to fail me.
Twenty-five to twenty-nine minutes later I click and clack across the parking lot
I wait for the beep as I wave my security card by the backdoor
33 clicks and 33 more clacks up the three flights up stairs to my office
(The last clicks I make until lunch when I transcend the three flights to the first floor cafeteria)
"Good morning." "Good morning." "How are you?" "Fine. How are you?"
I am greeted and I greet as I swoosh by the three cubicles out in front of my office.
And finally, as if it is sighing along with me, the air escapes from my leather desk chair as I sit down.
I'm here. I'm at work. I'm an attorney.
And that is what it sounds like.
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I Love that!!! What a creative way to describe your new life! I'm so proud of you and happy for you. Thanks for writing this very amusing description of your morning routine.
Well done! I was right there with you as you clicked and clacked around. The leather chair...what a perfect ending.
Post a Comment