Sunday, May 13, 2007

More than a Mother

I don't remember the exact moment when I realized that my mom was more than just a mom to me, but my best friend as well. I imagine it was a slow process...our relationship ever-evolving over time as I matured from an ungreatful teenager to the "woman" I am today. It's difficult, as I sit down on Mother's Day, to pick out one story that defines how much I love my mother. There have been many defining moments in our 25-year long friendship: hours spent together in the kitchen, the first trip out to LA to see my brothers, our trip to Chicago...the list goes on. I could write at length about any of these moments. But as I sit here, about to embark on a new chapter in my life, I am reminded of a a very fond time I spent with my mom.

Much like I expect this upcoming summer to be, I was in the midst of a very lonely summer in Manhattan in between my Sophomore and Junior years of college. I had decided to stay in Manhattan for the summer so I could keep my job at the mental health center and take a few classes. Expecting to have roommates for the summer, I subleased a room in an apartment with two friends from the dorms. Less than two weeks into the summer, however, they made better plans and headed for Kansas City, leaving me all alone in their apartment.

It was a grueling summer for me. I wasn't used to being alone. I sometimes felt like I literally had zero friends. I found myself looking forward to work so I would have someone to talk to -- something to take up time. I don't know how I found myself feeling so lonely. I did have a few friends in town, but somehow our schedules didn't meet up right and it left me with a lot of down time. A lot of down time.

It was during these moments that I began to lean on my mom more than I ever had before. I'm certain that a day didn't go by without me calling her and talking to her on the phone for as long as she would allot. In fact, I'm certain I might have called her more than once a day on the days I didn't work. I don't remember what we ever talked about. I'm sure the conversations often consisted of me reporting to her exactly what I did that day and her listening as though she really was interested in the fact that I washed my car or had done something else equally mundane.

I know my mom sensed my immense loneliness. Because it was summer, she had a relatively free schedule and offered to come stay with me for a weekend. Whether or not I outwardly jumped at the chance, I was extremely elated inside. I needed a friend and what a better friend to offer to spend time with me than the woman who shares half of everything that I am.

I don't remember what all we did that weekend. I have vague memories of taking walks around campus and having a few nice meals at my favorite restaurants. I remember she even sat at a laundromat and did my laundry while I went to work. (It goes without saying, my mother is an amazing woman). What I do remember is wishing she could stay and be my roommate for the rest of the summer, knowing all too well that I would be lonely Adrienne again when she left.

Ofcourse those lonely days dwindled down and before I knew it, I was back in the swing of my fast-paced college life. I had my friends back in town and I had a full load of classes and work that kept me busy...too busy to always answer my mom's calls. But as I learned that summer and am continually reminded of, my mom is never too busy to answer my calls. She is always there to answer life's easiest and hardest questions: "What temperature do I bake bread at?"..."When will I ever fall in love?"

Thank you, mom, for being there for me that summer. Thank you for being the very dearest friend I will ever have. I love you and Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Scarlet said...

As I wipe away the tears I am happy I decided to check the blogs before I shut down the computer for the night. I remember that summer weekend with much fondness. It was one of the special times that I eagerly look forward to. Thank you for putting the special touch on the end of my day! I love you! Mom

Devin Tait said...

I shouldn't have read this so soon after leaving you all hundreds of miles away! Now I'm crying!!!