Friday, March 2 was a blustery and chilly day. I sprung out of bed and headed to the law school to do some last minute work on the finishing touches of that evening's Barrister's Ball (aka Law Prom). Giddy with excitement, I smiled everyone I passed on my walk into the building and followed that up with "Hey, you coming to the Ball tonight?" The response was usually in the affirmative. To which I'd say, "Great. It's going to be such a good time."
The truth was, I didn't actually know if it would be a good time. For months, the five brave soles spearheading this event (Dan, Katie, Lindsey, Christel and I) had been focusing all of our efforts on making this an event that people would look back on and say it was one of their best times in law school. But whenever you take on the responsibility for planning a "good time," it's inevitable you'll worry it will be anything but that. Not to mention, we weren't putting on this event for the normal population. Law students are notorious for being hard to please. I guess it's the competitive nature in all of us that makes them think "I could have done this better."

I had to put my anxiety to the side as I checked the office messages, paid some bills and set off to purchase wrist bands. Besides, in less than an hour, I'd be leaving for Manhattan, KS to see Prez Bill speak. (Great time, btw. Such a brilliant man).
Fast forward to 6:45 pm as I sprint back into my house, returning from Manhattan. I was supposed to be ready and at the ball by 7:30. As I sprinted through my get ready routine, I was aware that the focal point for the night would have to be the shoes and dress I purchased rather than hair and makeup. I walked out the door a little passed 7:30, anxious to imbibe in the good time I had promised so many people.

And boy was it ever. Three hours later, I was swimming in a sea of law students plus one all dressed to the nines. (One girl was even wearing her pageant dress...wow!) The floor was coated in beer, wine and chunks of wine glass. And the dj was playing hip hop's finest selection. Though it started classy it ended just like we wanted. I couldn't have been more proud and with every turn I took that night there was someone there greating me with "this is so fun!" It wasn't a thank-you, but it was better than that. It was sincere.


2 comments:
That was really very sweet! Congrats, and on behalf of all of us, Thank You!
Can't wait for May!!!
Nice! Well, if the whole "law thing" doesn't work out for you, you could always fall back on event planning!
Post a Comment