Saturday, March 31, 2007

Odd is in the Air

I love living in Lawrence (sorry Dad). On any given day, you can take a walk down Mass Street and experience all arrays of human behavior: a young couple, walking hand in hand basking in the glory of their newfound undergraduate love; the crack addict begging for change; and ofcourse, the Lawrence hippie reeking of Patchuli (sp) and unwashed, dreaded hair.

Today, however, as I sit in the Borders Café typing a paper, I am privy to one of the most bizarre scenes I’ve witnessed in my three years here. Across the street, outside of the Java Break Café, are a group of four dancers, three females and one male. All dressed in black, each donning a black mustache reminiscent of the Charlie Chaplin (thanks, Brandon) style mustache. They are dancing about in an almost trance-like style, some clutching paper coffee cups as though they are in worship. At times, the pace picks up as though they are seizing, yet in a controlled manner.

I’ve been watching this scene now for almost fifteen minutes and I am completely in awe. I can’t stop watching. And I’m not the only one. The twenty-some other patrons of the Borders Café are also watching in awe and attempting to understand the scene going on just a mere streets’ width away. A lady just exclaimed that it is probably part of some dance spotlight going on in the city. I’m doubtful. I mean, this is weird.

I’ve attempted to capture the scene with my trusty razor cell phone camera but ofcourse it falls short of giving you any idea of just how bizarre this is. Nonetheless, here is the photo, so you can at least get an idea...the blur of people across the street are those other observors watching in awe. You are maybe able to see one of the dancers dressed in black. Perhaps even more exciting are the budding trees. Yay for spring!!

2 comments:

Scarlet said...

Its the little things that make life so rewarding and pleasant...

Brandonbodt said...

chaplin