Monday, April 23, 2007

bELATED

An early morning update of the three blogs I read urged me to write about my own well-wishes for my parent's 34th Anniversary. I have to admit, I have a poor record for remembering my parent's anniversary, let alone actually commemorating it with a gift or otherwise. This year was no different. I called my mom on the 18th to tell her something (unimportant, I'm sure) when she kindly reminded me of the significance of the following day. So instead of forgetting again like I would normally do, I decided to make this Anniversary the beginning of a new era in which I will make it my mission to ensure that every Anniversary from here on out is adequately recognized for the astonishing achievement that it is! (Or, in the alternative, I will remember to send a card every year...)

Thursday, April 19 was a beautiful day in this part of the country that mom, dad and I call home. I was in a good mood. I didn't have much going on. I decided to call dad and craft a plan to surprise mom for their Anniversary. Dad informed me that he and mom didn't really have any plans for the evening but that they'd probably go out for dinner. I told him I'd make it over to their house about the same time he would be returning home from golf practice...and most importantly, I ordered him not to tell mom that I was coming.


At 6:00 I headed out my door to make the 35 minute drive to my parents house. I called mom and wished her a "Happy Anniversary" and told her to have a nice evening with dad. She asked what I was doing, I said I was just driving home from school (lie). We talked a little longer and then I said I had to go because I was finally at home. Then I called dad to tell him I was on my way and would be arriving shortly.


The drive was short -- as it always is -- because I generally spend that time on the phone catching up with out of town friends. I talked to Chrisy almost the entire way. I pulled up to my parents house and parked across the street. I ran up to the front door and rang the door bell. I didn't know what was going on inside at the time, but dad found a way to make sure mom answered the door (something she apparently never does). When she opened the door it was a progression of emotions. Mom can go from zero to tears of joy in a matter of seconds. And she did. First, it was shock...a smile....a joyous giggle...tears.


We had a lovely dinner at a fish restaurant inside the newly opened Bass Pro Shop near my parents house. We had a lovely conversation. I'm sorry we don't do that more often.


I'll close with the picture I snapped of mom and dad as they sat across from me at the restaurant. Here's to their Happy 34th and wishes of 34+ more years of the partnership they have formed and maintained so effortlessly.

4 comments:

Brandonbodt said...

It takes hard work to make a relationship appear effortless.

Much love sissy!

Devin Tait said...

I wish we all could have been there. I can't believe it's been 34 years. Next year - 35 - is there a special theme for that one? I'll have to google it...

Devin Tait said...

FYI, from Wikipedia: 35 years is a coral (or jade) anniversary

Scarlet said...

I hope we can make an event of our anniversary next year! We will surely have a lot to celebrate!